Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

oh dear

Two things went wrong with some nice folks who knocked on the door tonight. They were canvassing for the SPCA -- a worthy cause to be sure. Well, the young man rather /pounded/ on the door -- it was so loud it made me jump. I had been peacefully slicing peaches for a pie* and spacing out to Hildegard of Bingen. I swung the door open, feeling quite wrathful (we had /just/ put Heulwen down to sleep a couple of minutes earlier and I wasn't sure it had 'taken' yet) and unfortunately gave him a bit of an earful, about how he knocked too hard, how they should be more aware of things like kids going to bed at that time of the evening, etc etc. Well, they apologised sheepishly and tried to go ahead with their speech; I politely cut them off and explained that while I appreciated what they were doing we had our set charities that we give to, etc etc.

So the two things that went wrong: one, I was kinda mean (at first) and remembered afterward that we have ample evidence out front that we are Christians, including a fish on the van and a cross /on the front door/. And I didn't exactly embody the soul of compassion toward those poor innocent door-pounding animal lovers.

The second thing? After I got inside I realized I was wearing my old 'Rattlesnake Roundup at Wigham, Georgia' t-shirt, which commemorates an annual event where a bunch of -- rednecks, presumably -- chase all the snakes in the area into a big pit and then have their evil way with them. I believe barbequing is involved.

What can I say? It was one of the first things my husband ever gave me, sentimental fool.

*I love pie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anybody who spaces out to Hildegaard of Bingen has got to be ok in my book. :)

Found your blog through Tabatha. Enjoy your musings from time to time.

Peace

Anonymous said...

I still have a t-shirt that my husband gave me for my birthday. It was the first thing he ever gave to me. It is a peachy coloured shirt.

Talking about peachy...You never offered me any PEACH PIE! What kind of friend are you? :)