Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

A couple of things

I've been a bit lackadaisical (sp?) about the ol' blog lately and thinking I can't be really bothered anymore -- at least not on a daily basis. I have a lot of stuff to do, and there are a lot of great blogs out there to read so I will perhaps just post every week or so now, if that. Any less and I will probably just can it altogether. This is not me feeling all glum or anything -- just that life is so full and I have a lot of other very good ways to use my limited energy!

Anyway, enough of that: here are some nice snippets from my Christian Imagination book.
Oh, just before that: where I said 'snippet' there -- I know that is an annoying word, but have you noticed that EVERY word for something small is annoying!? Here are the others I considered and rejected:
morsels (yuck)
tidbits (totally unacceptable)
bits (er. . .)
bon bons (retch)
quotes/quotations (can't stand either word, don't really know why)
sushi rolls of thought (what the!?)

So you see it could have been much worse. Maybe just 'timbits' would be good. Very Canadian, not too serious . . .

Okay, let's try this again.

A well-known writer got collared by a university student who asked, "Do you think I could be a writer?" "Well", the writer said, "I don't know. . . Do you like sentences?"

Annie Dillard, The Writing Life


It is easy to forget that the man who writes a good love sonnet needs not only to be enamoured of a woman, but also to be enamoured of the Sonnet.

C.S.Lewis, A Preface to Paradise Lost

4 comments:

kimberley francis said...

That seems fair, Jenny. We'll take whatever you feel like putting out there. I'm a bit of a delinquent blogger myself.

Hey, I love Annie Dillard's Tickets for a Prayer Wheel. She's got it going on.

Ya up for some live jazz sometime, stepping out, cause I think /I/ might be.

thomasw said...

yes i see it much as lewis. form to suit function; fit the content to the form. that's the true challenge for the creative mind.

Magdalen said...

"sushi rolls of thought"?? Really? Where'd that one come from? Well, that's just my new favourite saying ever.
*waves hi from Ottawa* Hi!!
It was so good to see you a few weeks ago. I miss you guys.

Kassianni said...

cheese mustard.
that's all i have to say.