Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

wonderful wonderful magazine called beyond (don't hold the slightly hokey name against them -- you gotta see this thing of beauty)

Matthew Francis (hi Matthew) was just here in Victoria, which was great, and he left a stack of 'beyonds'. He seems to be a regular contributor to this worthy publication since these two issues both had pieces in them by him. It's eclectic, beautifully illustrated and designed, ad free (!!!), Canadian, deep, and in places hilarious. The two issues Matthew left also happened to contain interviews with Bruce Cockburn and Jane Siberry respectively, both of whom I happen to have practically revered since birth/age 14, respectively. I haven't gone to their website yet (am about to do so as soon as I finish this) but I'm assuming it shatters previous categories of cool as well as does the publication itself. If not, subscribe anyway and help a very very Good Thing continue. My stars, it's good -- www.beyondmag.com --go there or be square.

Okay, now for a Something. Until I think of a good name for the kind of thing I post, that's what it'll be called. This Something is shamelessy stolen from issue 13 of beyond (their lack of capitalization, not mine, so don't bug me about it).

Broken-hearted:

We really cannot undertake to advise you as to what is your best course. Yours is a peculiar case. It is rare for any one person to be simultaneously threatened with epilepsy, deserted by an affianced lover after the banns have been published, bitten by a dog, which had been rendered insane by being led about by a string, expelled from her lodging for non-payment of rent and thrown out by an active volcano. These events do not often happen together. Do not, at any rate, return the presents you lover gave you. If we were in your place we should convert them into cash. Then you might take out a County Court Summons against the owner of the dog, also the volcano, and have something left over for a Breach of Promise action.

Punch, 1887
Dear Worried Violet
Rosemary Hawthorne

and there's this Something for my fellow film lovers -- again, stolen:

The most beautiful films are those which one hasn't seen.

--Bernard Eisenschitz
quoted in Film Journey: Confessions of a Cinephile
by Doug Cummings (also issue 13)

Okay, I'm off to explore, and to catch up on what's cookin on my favourite blogs! Cheerio.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool. I'm glad you have found my friends at Beyond.

Matthew Francis said...

I'm glad you like it...

I thought that advice to "Broken-hearted" was extremely sensible.

Tabatha said...

Arlen, You have friends at Beyond? Golly, you know a lot of people!

Anonymous said...

Yes Tabatha, I know Karen, the editor.

Krista said...

Karen is one of the most creative and generous people I know, and she's really encouraged me to write over the years. What a lot of people don't know is that at one time she was also a near-professional skateboarder.

Matthew Francis said...

Actually that was me who said that... Krista was still signed in : )

Anonymous said...

Oh you are all so kind. Thanks for liking Beyond. And look, all my friends are here. And Matthew is STILL my friend even when I torture him with all sorts of editing tweaks. And thanks for asking people to subscribe. The ONLY way we can keep going. And yes, I am tired of naming things...features, departments, blog entries, goldfish that keep dying...I don't have any goldfish. That must be all the late nights swimming before my eyes. Thanks again for blogging about us!

Karen
beyondmag.com

Anonymous said...

I met you at the Moss Street market and you gave me this blog address but my level of incompetence is incredible and I haven't been able to find and "email me" button (if it isn't flashing right in front of me I'm bound to miss it) - so I hope this note actually gets to you. Please email me because I would like to hire you to do a couple of small paintings for my girls!
cheers,
tatiana
mara@shaw.ca

Anonymous said...

Not to be a pill, but isn't it time to update? Your anonymous fans out here are anxious, with nothing to do but tap our feet and glance impatiently at our watches.

Pretty please?