Test Paper I
Up to the End of 1066
1) Which do you consider to be the more alike, Caesar or Pompey, or vice versa? (Be brief.)
2) Discuss, in latin or gothic (but not both), whether the Northumbrian Bishops were more schismatical than Cumbrian Abbots. (Be bright.)
3) Which came first, A.D. or B.C. ? (Be careful.)
4) Has it never occurred to you that the Romans counted backwards? (Be honest.)
5 How angry would you be if it was suggested
(1) That the XI th Chap. of the Consolations of Boethius was an interpolated palimpsest?
(2) That an eisteddfod was an argricultural implement?
6) How would you have attempted to deal with
(a) The Venomous Bead?
(b) A Mabinogion of a Wapentake? (Be quick.)
7) What would have happened if (a) Boadicea had been the daughter of Edward the Confessor? (b) Canute had succeeded in sitting on the waves?
Does it matter?
8) Have you the faintest recollection of
9) What have you the faintest recollection of?
10) Estimate the average age of
(1) The Ancient Britons.
(3) Old King Cole
11) Why do you know nothing at all about
(a) The Laws of Infangthief and Egg-seisin?
(b) Saint Pancras?
12)Would you say that Ethelread the Unready was directly responsible for the French Revolution? If so, what would you say?
N.B -- Do not attempt to answer more than one question at a time.